1998 Stewart & Stevenson M1078
Powered by CAT C7 diesel engine and Allison automatic transmission has seating for 3 in the cab. The is 4WD and is equipped with a steel bed. We can upfit this unit to meet your Fire or EMS department’s rescue needs. Contact Bob today at 717-354-8106 for more details on this unique truck. This unit is available immediately and is priced to sell at $49,900.00.
Manufacturers History: In 1902, Stewart & Stevenson originated in Houston, Texas, as a blacksmith shop shoeing horses, and a carriage shop manufacturing carriages and wagons. In 1905, C. Jim Stewart & Stevenson repaired their first horseless carriage.
In 1920, as the automobile became more prevalent, the company shifted its focus to automobile repair and customization. In 1923 the company became a GMC truck distributor and builder of truck body variants.
From 1938 through the 1950s, the company manufactured a “swamp buggy” for support of oil exploration in Gulf Coast marsh areas.
In 1958, the company entered the aircraft ground support business using GM Detroit Diesels. During the decade, it designed and built approximately 1000 low silhouette, self-propelled GPUs with a 400 Hz, 90 kVA generator set for major airlines. Later, in 1959 Stewart & Stevenson became a distributor for Hyster industrial forklifts.
During the 1960s the company designed and produced oilfield self-propelled service units under the trade name “Fieldmaster.” In 1962, the group expanded the ground support equipment product line with tow tractors for various airlines and in 1963 built oilfield hydraulic fracturing pump trucks.
Between 1963 and 1966, the company entered the gas-turbine powered industry and pleasure craft engines. In 1969 the company designed and built Land Leveler vehicles used for leveling an area that was to be flooded with water for rice fields. In the 1970s the company formed the Thermo King division. In 1975 it began GM Detroit Diesel engine sales in Venezuela.
In 1980, the company started building GE gas turbine power packages for offshore oil rigs. 1985 saw the California Cogen – power producing industry and the company competed for the U.S. Army’s M939 A2 5-ton truck program.
Through a joint venture with Mercedes-Benz, Stewart & Stevenson built 700 “Starship” transit buses from 1987-1992.
In 1988 the company was granted exclusive territory for Electro-Motive Diesel engines, including 10 southern states, Mexico, and Central America. In 1989 it was awarded a John Deere light industrial dealership.
In the 1990s, the company designed and built the Rail King railcar mover, was awarded a contract to build $1.2 billion of 2.5 and 5-ton trucks for the U.S. Army, purchased Foley Valves – an oil field equipment supplier, acquired PAMCO – Waukesha gas compression & generating equipment, and signed an agreement with European Gas Turbines Ltd. – a packager of mid-range units. The company marketed large self-propelled snowblowers for use at airports and on roadways and also competed for the US Marine Corp / US Army Medium Tactical Vehicle Replacement (MTVR) Program, and began production of year two of a multi-year contract for the next FMTV increment of 10,000 vehicles.
In 2000, the company sold its gas-turbine division to GE Power Systems and acquired TUG aircraft ground support vehicles business. The following year, the company sold its John Deere dealership and formed the ‘Specialty Wheeled Vehicle Division. On October 18, 2002, Stewart & Stevenson stock moved onto the New York Stock Exchange with the shares selling under the new ticker symbol “SVC.”
In 2015, Anthony James Davis was named CEO. This appointment, in addition to his appointment to the board was effective February 2016.