2006 HME Smeal Pumper
Four door enclosed HME Smeal Pumper with seating for 6 with 3 SCBA seats. Powered by a Cummins Diesel 330HP and Allison automatic transmission. Hale 1500 GPM Pump with 500 gallon water tank. The truck is equipped with 1.75″ front bumper discharge, 6″ front intake and two 1.75″ crosslays. The drivers side pump panel has one 6″ and 2.5″ intake along with one 2.5″ discharge and the officers side pump panel has one 6″ and 2.5″ intake along with one 2.5″ and one 3″ discharge. The rear of the truck is equipped with a low hose bed and two 2.5″ discharges. The truck is equipped with a 6kW Hydraulic Generator and scene lights. The truck is equipped with NFPA warning light and siren package. Contact Bob in our office today at 1-877-346-1373 for more details or to schedule an inspection of the unit.
Like many fire apparatus manufacturers, Smeal started as a local machine shop that gradually entered the fire truck business. The Smeal Implement Company was founded by Donald Smeal in Snyder in 1955. In 1963, the local fire district approached Smeal to repair the tank on one of their existing trucks. Smeal determined that the tank could not be fixed, and proposed that he build a new truck for the community. The first Smeal fire truck built carried a 250 GPM pump, 1200 gallon tank and 42-foot aerial ladder on a 1964 International Loadstar chassis. Other local fire departments ordered trucks of their own and the business expanded from there.
In the 1970s, Smeal began to design and build its own line of aerial ladders, expanding to a full range of ladders and towers ranging from 55 to 125 feet. The company supplied ladder assemblies to Pierce Manufacturing from the mid-1980s until 1993. They were also the main supplier of aerial ladders for Superior Emergency Vehicles. Aerials are an important part of the company’s product line today.
In December 2016, it was announced that Spartan Emergency Response would be purchasing Smeal for $36.3 million. Today, Spartan continues to build apparatus under the Smeal brand name.
HME was founded in 1913 as Hendrickson Motor Truck Company was purchased by The Boler Company in 1978 and later sold the truck manufacturing portion in 1985. After the Atonne Group, located in Wyoming, Michigan purchased the company in 1985, the company changed gears to specializing in the manufacture of custom fire truck cabs and chassis. HME’s fire apparatus carry the model name designations SilverFox and HME Ahrens-Fox.