1987 Ford 8000 FMC Pumper
Two door cab with seating for 5 with 4 SCBA seats. Powered by a Caterpillar Diesel engine and Allison Automatic transmission. Hale 1250 GPM Pump with 750 gallons of water. Equipped with two 1.75″ crosslays and deck gun. The driver’s side pump panel has one 5″ intake and two 2.50″ discharges. The officers side pump panel has one 5″ intake and two 2.50″ discharges while the rear of the truck one 2.50″ discharges. The truck is equipped with a NFPA lighting and siren package. This low mileage pumper is available immediately for $7,000.00 or reasonable offer. Contact Bob in our office today for more details or to schedule an inspection of the unit at 1-877-346-1373
The origin of FMC fire trucks stretches back to the 1884 formation of the Bean Spray Pump Company in California. Bean designed and built agricultural sprayers for orchards. The company changed its name to John Bean Mfg. Company in 1915 and after purchasing other companies in the food canning industry, changed its name again to Food Machinery Corporation, or FMC. During the Second World War, FMC built tracked amphibious landing vehicles for the US military. In 1948, the name of the company changed to Food Machinery and Chemical Corporation, retaining the same initials. In 1961, it became simply FMC Corporation. FMC continued its military work and was well-known for building the internationally exported M-113 armoured personnel carrier and the M-2 Bradley armoured fighting vehicle. In January 1994 FMC and BMY Harsco decided to combine their defense businesses to form United Defense.
John Bean’s involvement in the firefighting industry began in the late 1930s when someone used one of their agricultural sprayers to fight a fire. Once the company became aware of this development, they created a high pressure “fog” system to fight fires. This system was used during the war to fight fires on board US Navy ships. After the war, the company continued production of the Fog Fire Fighter and sold thousands across the United States in the following decades. Most were built on conventional chassis supplied by the fire department.
By the mid-1950s, FMC had diversified its offerings to include mini-pumpers, triple combination pumpers and city service ladder trucks. Aerial ladders were added in the 1960s, using ladders built by Grove or Memco. FMC was one of the first manufacturers to use custom chassis built by Spartan Motors. In 1978, FMC acquired California apparatus manufacturer Van Pelt.
FMC later entered into an OEM arrangement with Ladder Towers Inc. (LTI) to market aerial ladders. In the early 1980s, the company tried to expand its role in aerial ladders by leveraging FMC’s Link-Belt crane division but the venture was unsuccessful. The FMC Fire Apparatus division was ultimately shut down in 1990.
FMC now produces chemicals and is listed on the New York Stock Exchange. The defence (United Defense), oil and gas manufacturing (FMC Technologies) and construction equipment (Link-Belt) divisions were spun off into separate entities.
John Bean trucks were initially built in Lansing until the mid-1960s. Production was then moved to FMC’s complex in Tipton, Indiana, and again in 1986 to Orlando, Florida, remaining there until the division was shut down in 1990. Trucks were also built in California at the Bean-Cutler Division in San Jose and later at the Van Pelt plant in Oakdale. Production at Oakdale ended in 1987.
Spartan Emergency Response, or simply Spartan, is a fire apparatus manufacturer located in Brandon, South Dakota, with additional manufacturing facilities in Ephrata, Pennsylvania and Ocala, Florida. The company also manufactures and supplies fire chassis to other fire body manufacturers. Spartan ER was a division of Spartan Motors prior to its purchase by REV Group
In 1973, Grove Manufacturing sold off its aerial ladder division to concentrate on crane manufacture. In 1974, Mahlon Zimmerman started a new company, Ladder Towers Incorporated (better known by the initials LTI) by building former Grove aerial devices.
Over the years, LTI built several aerial devices. Bodies were built by Conestoga Custom Products Incorporated, which was located in the same industrial park as LTI. Trucks were built on Spartan, Hendrickson and Pemfab chassis.
In 1985, LTI developed its own custom chassis, the LTI Olympian. In 1986, LTI was acquired by Simon Group, maker of the Simon Snorkel elevating platforms. The new company, called Simon-LTI, then acquired custom chassis manufacturer Duplex. The truck was manufactured under the Simon Duplex LTI name.
In 1998, Simon-LTI’s ladder division was purchased by Aerial Innovations Inc., a company founded by LTI founder Mahlon Zimmerman.
In 1999, all these companies were merged into a division of the new American LaFrance Corporation owned by Freightliner Corporation. After this date, LTI and Aerial Innovations aerials were only built on American LaFrance custom chassis and Freightliner commercial chassis.